Saturday, April 22, 2006

Neil Young on Canada, America, Freedom of Speech and War.

See the video here (click):

Update: April 28, 2006 - Listen to Living With War, the new Neil Young album here. His own comments about the album can be found on the Reprise Records website:

...this is about exchanging ideas... it's about getting a message out. It's about empowering people by giving them a voice. I know not everyone believes what I say is what they think. But like I said before... red and blue is not black and white. We're all together. It's a record about unification." - Neil Young (Apr 18, 2006).
Also interesting is a "behind the scenes" view from Alicia Morgan, one of 100 background singers at Young's controversial "Impeach the President" recording sessions. Her take can be found here and here (thanks, Cathie from Canada):

On Wednesday, I was at work when I got a call for a Neil Young session the next day. Needless to say, I was excited about it - Neil Young is one of my musical heroes. When my husband and I got to Capitol, we found 98 other singers, a collection of L.A.'s finest. All I knew was that we were singing on a new Neil Young record, but when the lyrics we were supposed to sing flashed on the giant screen, a roar went up from the choir. I'm not going to give the whole thing away, but the first line of one of the songs was "Let's impeach the President for lyin'!" Turns out the whole thing is a classic beautiful protest record. The session was like being at a 12-hour peace rally. Every time new lyrics would come up on the screen, there were cheers, tears and applause. It was a spiritual experience. I can't believe my good fortune at being a part of this.

- Garry J. Wise, Toronto

2 comments:

RossK said...

Sheesh.

The photo of Neil kind of freaked me out.

I mean.....it sure looks an awful lot like the no longer with us HST.

.

Anonymous said...

My husband Paul Dicks looks like Neil Young. If ever Garry you get a chance to meet Neil Young, call up Paul Dicks and allow him to see him in person. I was wondering if Paul can play a 'younger Neil' in a movie, or 'just for them to see each other. It would be awesome. If you have Neil's email address can you pass it to Paul also, so maybe he can write him too. It's amazing how many people have come up to Paul in downtown Toronto, "You look like Neil Young."