Friday, May 12, 2006

Lawyers Weekly Article

Thanks to writer Bill Rogers, my life in and outside the office has once again found its way into the press.

I was fortunate to be featured in a story in the Urban Lawyer section of this week's The Lawyers Weekly newspaper. The full article is posted here.

Bill and I spent a very enjoyable evening together last month at my studio, talking about law and tunes.

However, there is a bit of a story to be told about the interview - and now I get to be the writer....

As it turned out, in addition to his own law degree and blue-chip career as a writer for The Lawyers Weekly, Bill has a rather impressive musical background of his own, including a previous finalist's spot in a Q-107 Homegrown contest and some pretty fine recordings, some of which can be found on his own website.

I knew something was up as soon as he walked into the studio ... the way he looked around, checking out the guitars and gear.

"You're a musician aren't you?" I asked.

He admitted the obvious. And then, for a couple of hours, we spoke about his music and mine and life and law in general.

When he finally agreed to let me listen to one of his tunes that was posted online, my jaw practically dropped.

The guy is for real. He is really good.

The talent of a truly great interviewer is probably in creating an atmosphere that allows the subject to speak in a natural and honest voice. Bill's genuine interest and sensitive approach pretty much let me forget that tape was running and recording our discussion.

It was a real pleasure to work with him.

(The fact that he liked a few of my tunes probably didn't hurt either).

- Garry J. Wise, Toronto

Visit our Website - http://www.wiselaw.net/

No comments: